It was a cold, snowy day. My kids went out back to play in the snow. Snow drifts were above their knees. They came inside after 30 minutes feeling cold and asking for a fire.
I received a fireplace kit for Christmas. I loved it!! Love the warmth, the ambiance, and the ability to sit by the fire with my kids and talk. As I was in a bit of a hurry trying to start the fire before I had to make dinner, my mind was not in the present moment.
I should mention, we have a gas fireplace.
First, I forgot to open the flue. Then I turned the gas on super low and started lighting the fire but it was not catching. Not thinking, I turned the gas up a little higher, and lit the lighter again and again until finally a spark lit. Suddenly a ball of fire came rolling out of the fireplace and knocked me backwards while burning my face.
Human error. Please don't take the time to comment on what I should have done....I KNOW!
And my mistake turned into a very scary situation. After being knocked down, my poor kids were screaming, the smoke detectors were going off, and the house wreaked of gas and burnt hair. I glanced around to make sure nothing was on fire. Then realized my hair was falling out in chunks and ashes were coming off of my head. I ran into the bathroom to see the damage.
OMG....my eyebrow. Half Gone.
And my HAIR! It looked like I stuck my finger in an outlet.
One spot was definitely missing in the front, and pieces were singed all over....
Thankfully a few neighbors and girlfriend came to my rescue to help me take care of the kids and get myself calmed down and cleaned up. Just a few meltdown later I was OK.
And realized how fortunate I was/am!
The next day I went everywhere incognito.
Then I had my eyelashes fixed...
And then my hair repaired.....
And my eyebrow looking less 'odd'....
All small, fixable cosmetic things! Praise God.
Note to self:
OPEN the flue.
Make sure lighter has fluid.
Light first. Then gas.