When I was pregnant I loved what I would call "the 4 S's": salt, soda, soup and sandwiches. I have no idea why I retained so much water and gained 70 pounds...I mean, you can't get any healthier than that RIGHT?
My eating was out of control so trust me when I say, I don't judge any pregnant (or non pregnant for that matter...) women that wants to eat whatever the heck they WANT. But there are a few things that you should steer clear of for not only your health, but for baby as well! Parents.com has a great list but I'll summarize for you:
1. It is it raw...you probably shouldn't eat it. I'm going to go into the nasty details of why bloody meat and runny eggs are not so great for you but if you are pregnant, you might want to skip ordering a rare steak. This includes any uncooked sushi too! And think twice before you eat an entire batch of raw cookie dough...being pregnant and trying to bake cookies SUCKS!
2. Unpasteurized juice, milk and soft cheeses. Most of the stuff from your local grocery is going to be ok...but steer clear of anything (even apple cider) from a farmer's market.
3. Alcohol...do I really need to explain this?
4. Your exhausted and could probably guzzle 3 gallons of coffee right? Scratch that because you can only have 2 or 3 cups MAX a day or 300 milligrams of any caffeine to be more specific. This includes chocolate, soda, coffee, tea...etc. I know, I know...I'm ruining people's lives right now.
5. Deli meats, hot dogs, bacon and sausage should also be limited. Did I mention I loved salt and sandwiches right? So I might have sneaked in a piece of bacon and some turkey meat...oops!
The items in that list might look like a piece of cake to avoid while you are still in your first trimester...but just wait until you are in your second and third trimesters, or as I like to call them the "I want to eat everything in site ESPECIALLY if it is unhealthy or on the list" trimesters.
It is okay to occasionally indulge in your favorite lunch meat or cup of coffee, but as with all things while you are pregnant, moderation is KEY. As you can see from my before/after pictures, you will swell up faster than a hot air balloon on Memorial Day if you don't watch yourself. If you feel the undeniable craving to eat excessive amounts of food/drinks on this list...just grab a gallon of ice cream and go to town, I didn't see THAT on any "do not eat" list. ;o)